Monday, October 11, 2010

Pilates helps this enthusiast claim FIRST in a SUPing race!

We are thrilled to spotlight Erica Neyburski as our latest Featured Client. For those of you lucky enough to meet her around the studio you'll remember her beautiful smile and sunny personality. We've been fortunate to have her in our classes and workshops since we opened.

Erica has practiced Mat and Equipment based Pilates with BBI instructors Julie Baskin and Jenny Landells, and regularly attends yoga classes with Lisa Long. Her interest in Pilates inspired her to attend several Pilates + Props workshops so she could dive a little deeper into the work.

Recently, Erica was able to apply the strength, coordination, stability and flexibility she's developed in her regular practice of Pilates and yoga to a new sport - Stand-Up Paddleboarding - where she picked up First Place in her event! This was her first event in this sport, EVER!

Here's Erica's story in her own words:

This past spring I embarked on a new found passion: stand-up paddleboarding (SUP). A SUP is a board that is larger and thicker than a traditional surfboard making it more buoyant, allowing me to stand up on top of the board even in motionless water. I use a long paddle to propel myself on the water.

SUPing is a lot of fun but challenging because it requires tremendous balance, core strength and stability. Years of practicing Pilates and yoga has helped me pick up this sport with a real advantage over other newcomers as I incorporate the principles and techniques of proper alignment, standing well, using my breath, and paddling from my core when I'm out on the water.

On a whim and with the support and encouragement of my husband and a friend, I signed up for a paddle race just days before the event was to take place. Still new to SUPing and with minimal distance training I decided to go for it anyway.

Up to race day my paddling was limited to pleasure cruises in calm waters - but this day I battled chest high waves and rough seas. To add to the challenge, the race was extended from the 2.4 miles I'd signed up for - to 5.3! Regardless, I kept my focus and did what I went out there to do. Not only did I finish, but I managed to take home the 1st Place trophy in the women's division!

I know that the physical strength and confidence I have in myself now can be directly attributed to my Pilates training. A challenge like competitive SUPing would have been unquestionably more difficult without this background. I am looking forward to entering more SUP races next season!


Thank you Erica for being such a great client ~ your dedication to Pilates is inspiring to us all!

We would love to highlight YOU in our client of the week section! If you are interested in sharing your story with Pilates, Gyrotonic, or any of the other services we offer here at Body Balance Institute, we'd like to include you. Send us an email or give us a call if you are interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment